No organisation is in the business of suing. Sometimes a Court ruling is necessary to protect your interests but, in all the years that our lawyers have been practising, we’ve never had a client who really wanted to go to Court. It can be costly, it can be unpredictable. What you need is the right people – who are experts in resolving disputes (or advising you on how best to avoid them) – standing shoulder to shoulder with you to achieve your objective.
Our view is that every case we handle is a commercial transaction where the other party doesn’t want to agree our client’s terms, so we have to use other means to get the right result.
Our USP is that we know that there is more than one way to skin a cat. We’re problem solvers, not one trick ponies. Lawyers often wax lyrical about various methods of ‘alternative dispute resolution.’ Over time we’ve probably fought every type of case in every type of Court or forum, in many jurisdictions. The common thread is that we control the agenda and never lose sight of your objective.
What are we particularly good at?
We handle every type of commercial dispute, large and small, that afflict organisations of every size and type; privately and publicly owned companies, public sector organisations (local and national), government agencies and the not for profit sector. We work across all areas of the law, where we draw on the expertise of our colleagues throughout Capital Law who concentrate on specific legal areas and our carefully chosen panel of external counsel.
The types of cases we do most often are:
- business ownership disputes: between shareholders, partners, financiers, directors and senior employees
- mergers and acquisitions disputes arising from contractual commitments, warranties, due diligence, earn-out provisions and such like
- commercial contracts: most often from purchase and supply agreements; financing and joint venture agreements
- intellectual property and media disputes
- interest rate swap mis-selling cases
- contentious trust and probate
- cost effective debt recovery - Capital Collect.
Because of our track record we can use legal, commercial and psychological tactics to resolve cases, whether by suing, negotiating or manipulating our opponent.